"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly." ~Richard Bach

Those of us who are lucky experience the complete unraveling of our lives. A life turned upside down creates the opportunity for radical change. Whether it's a divorce, death of a loved one, sudden poverty, or life changing illness, we may find ourselves forced to reevaluate identity, meaning, reality.

Corneal dystrophy has been the empowering experience of my life. I lost access to visual beauty, but discovered that we swim in a sea of unnoticed yet exquisitely beautiful sounds, textures, smells, and motion. The disease was crushingly cruel and my organ donor gave me the purest form of unconditional kindness. I lost the illusion of control, and tasted serenity and freedom. I gave up the future I had planned, and experienced the richness of the present moment.

Life became an infinite playground- with a little help from Lao Tsu.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Love My Donor

As people are falling, they open their eyes wide and use both hands to catch themselves. I don't. I hike and snowshoe in steep hilly rocky terrain. When I stumble, I close my eyes tight, put my left hand over my left eye and use only the right hand to catch my fall. I am like a pregnant woman who instinctively protects her belly first. I will do almost anything to protect the corneal tissue I received from my donor.

The sparkle in my left eye is more than that, it is the sparkle of a great Jewel of Kindness. It is more precious than just eyesight. It is the remaining living tissue of my donor. It is his cosmic life force. The decision to donate the cornea is a manifestation of pure unconditional kindness.

In the month before my transplant, I repeatedly had a dream/vision - sometimes as I slept, sometimes as I meditated. In the dream, I was in a desolate gray concentration camp, standing before a twenty foot high wooden fence. As I stood there looking at it, without knowing how, why, or by whom, I knew that someone on the other side was going to toss a precious jewel, a huge red ruby into the air so that it landed on my side. They would toss it into the air without knowing who might catch it or find it, without knowing how it would be used.

It would be my new cornea. I would catch the jewel in my eye. At first I was disturbed with the image of this hard shiny object landing in my eye. And the dream would end.

Then a few days before the transplant, I changed in the dream. Instead of tense and afraid, my arms and heart opened wide, my face softened to receive the jewel.

When it pierced my eye, it turned blindingly white and clear. It was as bright and radiant as all the diamonds and stars of the universe. It was one great mass of all the stars that ever were. With the impact, the stars, the millions upon millions of points of light, radiated from my eye and throughout my body until I was a field of stars with the shape and outline of my human body. And slowly stars began to drift away from me into the world around me and into the universe. His life force would mingle with all that is the cosmos. A small concentration of his star light would remain with me.

I carry this concentration in my eye. With or without vision, I want to sustain it, honor it, and continue to carry it. It is more than eyesight. It is even more than the freedom and independence that eyesight gives me. It is pure unconditional kindness. It is a manifestation of our sacred human goodness.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, thank you for stopping by at my blog the other day. So sorry it took awhile for me to discover your comments as my comment system accidentally hid them.

    It's great to hear from someone who shares the same experience as my mom, and I admire the way you put your feelings in this blog, it's beautiful. I wish I could write the way you did.

    This is really a new experience for us. We just discovered about my mom's eye condition two years ago. Since then she had to go through a series of treatment that worried us sometimes. We're glad that her recent corneal transplant went well and so far there's no sign of complications. Thank God, and may God bless her donor soul.

    Btw, in case you don't recognize me, I'm Elna, you visited my wordpress blog last week. This Google account that I use to comment is connected to my Blogger blog where I shared pictures of my mom after the transplant here, thought you might want to see her :)

    It's really nice to see you, hope you will share more about your experience. I'm following your blog so I can read your update.

    Have a great weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear dear Hannorah,

    -By the way, what a beautiful name!-
    It's been a delight reading your blog. I constantly check it out. I love the way you write, it feels so honest.
    Getting to know you has inspired me to talk about being an organ donor with people around me. It's tough to engage a conversation around that subject, as it relates with our beliefs and fear of death.
    But even after all the stir it caused, my mind is settling on doing what I think to be right, and I shall soon make the step to actualy become an organ donor.

    Love,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannorah, thanks for visiting my blog.

    I can relate because I had a corneal transplant in each of my eyes. I was born with cloudy corneas (Corneal Endothelial Dystrophy) and had the surgery many years later. I can's see 20/20 but I can see better than I could before.

    ReplyDelete