"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly." ~Richard Bach

Those of us who are lucky experience the complete unraveling of our lives. A life turned upside down creates the opportunity for radical change. Whether it's a divorce, death of a loved one, sudden poverty, or life changing illness, we may find ourselves forced to reevaluate identity, meaning, reality.

Corneal dystrophy has been the empowering experience of my life. I lost access to visual beauty, but discovered that we swim in a sea of unnoticed yet exquisitely beautiful sounds, textures, smells, and motion. The disease was crushingly cruel and my organ donor gave me the purest form of unconditional kindness. I lost the illusion of control, and tasted serenity and freedom. I gave up the future I had planned, and experienced the richness of the present moment.

Life became an infinite playground- with a little help from Lao Tsu.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Naked Trees in the Moonlight



In the middle of these December nights

there are no voices.

And mine are the only eyes.

I listen

And stare at branches of oak trees in the moonlight.

An autumn storm blew away their summer frill and excess.

All that is left in the silence and snow

is that which the storm could not take away

eternal strength and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment